Yerington, Nevada is a small town located in Lyon County with a population of about 3,000. It is situated near the Mason Valley, which is known for its irrigated agricultural fields. The town is surrounded by mountains on all sides and has a moderate climate, with hot summers and mild winters.
The area has a rich history, as it was first inhabited by the Northern Paiute people who lived in the region for hundreds of years before European settlers arrived. The town was founded in 1868 and named after Henry Yerington, a prominent railroad executive. It grew as an agricultural center and mining boomtown over the next few decades.
Today, Yerington has a strong economy based on farming and ranching. There are also several businesses that provide services to locals and tourists alike. The city is served by two public school districts: Yerington Elementary School District and Yerington High School District. Additionally, there are several private schools in the area that offer students an excellent education.
Yerington is home to several notable landmarks including Fort Churchill State Historic Park, which was once an outpost of the US Army during the Civil War era; Walker Lake State Recreation Area; Mason Valley Wildlife Management Area; Fort Churchill Cemetery; and Wovoka Wilderness Area. Additionally, there are numerous historical sites located around town that provide visitors with an insight into Yerington’s past.
Politically speaking, Yerington is part of Nevada’s 2nd congressional district and is represented by Republican Mark Amodei in Congress since 2011. In addition to Amodei’s representation at the federal level, local government consists of five members elected to serve on the City Council which oversees all operations within city limits such as land use planning and zoning regulations along with other municipal services like police protection and street maintenance.
Overall, Yerington offers residents an excellent quality of life with plenty of natural beauty to explore as well as a thriving economy thanks to its numerous businesses providing jobs for local citizens while also attracting visitors from nearby cities looking for a peaceful getaway or adventure outdoors!
Population: 2,883. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,486 (+20.9% change)
Males: 1,435 (49.8%), Females: 1,448 (50.2%)
Zip code: 89447
Median resident age: 41.2 years
Median household income: $31,151
Median house value: $99,200
Races in Yerington:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.4%)
- Hispanic (15.4%)
- American Indian (8.0%)
- Other race (5.8%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (19.2%), Irish (14.2%), English (14.0%), Italian (6.1%), United States (5.6%), Swedish (4.1%).
Elevation: 4390 feet
Land area: 1.7 square miles
Yerington is a small city located in the northwestern corner of Nevada. As of 2019, it had a population of 3,400 people, making it one of the smaller cities in the state. The cost of living in Yerington is slightly below the national average, making it an affordable place to live. The city is known for its low housing costs; the median home price for 2019 was $130,000. Renters can expect to pay an average of $650 a month for their apartments or homes. Other costs such as groceries and utilities are also lower than average.
The city offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking and camping at nearby Lahontan State Recreation Area and Mason Valley Wildlife Management Area. Yerington has several parks within its city limits which offer playgrounds, picnic areas, and basketball courts. It also boasts a thriving arts culture with many local galleries and cultural events throughout the year. The city’s downtown area features unique shops and restaurants that give it charm and character. Overall, Yerington is an affordable place to live with plenty to do both inside and outside the city limits.
For population 25 years and over in Yerington
- High school or higher: 73.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 9.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Yerington city
- Never married: 17.6%
- Now married: 55.1%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 11.0%
- Divorced: 15.1%
7.0% Foreign born (4.7% Latin America, 1.5% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +478 (+19.9%).
Hospital/medical center in Yerington:
- SOUTH LYON MEDICAL CENTER (SURPRISE AT WHITACRE AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Yerington:
- SCHURZ PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; SCHURZ, NV)
- CARSON-TAHOE HOSPITAL (about 42 miles; CARSON CITY, NV)
- CARSON REHABILITATION CENTER (about 43 miles; CARSON CITY, NV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Yerington:
- RENO/TAHOE INTERNATIONAL (about 54 miles; RENO, NV; Abbreviation: RNO)
- LAKE TAHOE (about 58 miles; SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, CA; Abbreviation: TVL)
- MAMMOTH YOSEMITE (about 97 miles; MAMMOTH LAKES, CA; Abbreviation: MMH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Yerington:
- YERINGTON MUNI (about 2 miles; YERINGTON, NV; Abbreviation: O43)
- ROSASCHI AIR PARK (about 16 miles; SMITH, NV; Abbreviation: N59)
- SILVER SPRINGS (about 30 miles; SILVER SPRINGS, NV; Abbreviation: B08)
According to andyeducation, Nevada has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Yerington:
- WESTERN NEVADA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; Carson City, NV; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- TRUCKEE MEADOWS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 59 miles; RENO, NV; Full-time enrollment: 4,615)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-RENO (about 111 miles; RENO, NV; Full-time enrollment: 10,375)
- SIERRA COLLEGE (about 145 miles; ROCKLIN, CA; Full-time enrollment: 9,313)
- MERCED COLLEGE (about 146 miles; MERCED, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,482)
- AMERICAN RIVER COLLEGE (about 153 miles; SACRAMENTO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 13,984)
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-STANISLAUS (about 154 miles; TURLOCK, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,443)
Public high school in Yerington:
- YERINGTON HS (Students: 498; Location: 114 PEARL STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Yerington:
- YERINGTON ELEM (Students: 537; Location: 112 CALIFORNIA STREET; Grades: PK – 04)
- YERINGTON INTERMED SCH (Students: 461; Location: 215 PEARL STREET; Grades: 05 – 08)
Library in Yerington:
- LYON COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM (Operating income: $440,107; Location: 20 NEVIN WAY; 88,377 books; 4,230 audio materials; 1,654 video materials; 128 serial subscriptions)